Saturday, November 08, 2008

 

Oklahoma Is OK With Me....sorta

OK. It's day six and...what? Where is the "Years supply" I promised you, just for showing up for this chapter? *sigh* Alright,maybe I did say something like that, so here. Hey, I didn't say what it would be a years supply of. I'm sure that's more than even our new President can sling in his first ninety days.
(I hope.)

Alright....settle down....let's get back to the lie story at hand.

When last we left our intrepid couple, they had just finished the pizza to end all pizzas and bedded down for a comfy night in the local W-M.

So, it's day six and we have on the agenda a visit to the Oklahoma City National Memorial. This is the memorial park that is dedicated to everyone lost or otherwise affected by the bombing of the Federal Building. I have to say, it was a very sobering thing. When you walk through the site and get a feel for the enormity...
There is a lawn full of these small markers with people's names indicating where they were in the building when the bomb went off.



We spent an hour or so there. Since we had to park on the street,(at two parking meters, no less), we had to get back. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that when we were parking, we overheated and blew out a bunch of coolant on the street.



Seems that the wires for the electric cooling fans had come unplugged. Yep...nothing like having to water yer horse before you can hit the trail. Fortunately, we had a tank full of H2O, so it was just a matter of hauling it from sink to radiator. While we're on the subject of fun things that happened, let's jump back a bit to another laugh we had earlier in the day. On the way to the monument, we got lost decided to tour the city. It was during this tour that I thought I would test the integrity of the city's storm drain grates. They may be able to fool their city inspectors, but not me. I knew there would be a loose fitting grate and I found it! Not only did I find it, but at the same time I demonstrated just how dangerous something like this could be by popping it up out of its frame and slamming it with my steps. I guess I showed them.

We stayed at a truck stop just outside Oklahoma City that night and spent the evening seeing how many times we could hop in and out of the coach not using the stairs. (No honey, the steps are fine....really! I just think we could use the exercise.)

Day seven dawns...and sometime later, we arise as well. I know we are going to another one of those shrines to outdoor activities today and am rearing to get going. I'm talking about....that's right....Outdoor World! No, wait...Pro Bass Shops! I know many of you are saying "But Mark, you just went to Cabela's). Pish-Posh Cabela's-Schmabela's. PBS (The store, not the television thingy)has it all over Cabela's. It's much larger, has way more stuff, and they carry these. Man, we want one of these so bad we can taste it. OK......let's forget about that tasting thing....but we do want one. Think about it, cruising out in comfort to those rock areas less hunted, in seats! AND it has a bed on the back (the truck kind, not the sleeping kind) to haul all our junk. But I digress. Who was it that said digression is the better part of...wait, maybe that was something else..

Anyway, on with the show.

We wander through the acreage of PBS for what seems like days. Twice I have to go outside to change shirts due to drooling. And this just from LeAnna. Making a mental list of all that has become important to me, I try to figure a way to talk LeAnna into working 4 jobs. Maybe if I temper it by saying she wouldn't have to work overtime... :-/ ...Yeah....probably not.

After a cold shower and a fresh change of clothes, we head to Flying J for the night. The thing is that it's about 100 miles away...with nothing planned between here and there. I contemplate a rendition of "99 bottles of beer on the wall", then remember the court order about my singing and decide not to chance it. We were cruising down the highway admiring the scenery, when we come upon a sign touting one of THE most desirable roadside attractions of this or any other generation. I'm talking about none other than The Toy And Action Figure Museum. OMG!! We had to go. A short detour to Paul's Valley, OK and we were there.

There were action figures of every description. Some I'd never heard of. There was a Batman room, a Superman room, a Spiderman room, and on and on. There were G.I. Joe displays that brought back childhood memories. Everywhere you looked, Star Trek (old and new), Star Wars, and Barbie, who I never considered an action figure...(unless you were G.I. Joe). I even saw a Charles Dickens, Edgar Allen Poe and a Sigmund Freud action figure...go figure (see what I did there? Freud was a psych...oh never mind!). There were plenty of movie props and miniatures as well as comic book original art. And no, it wasn't free, but the guy did give us a 30% discount. Probably felt sorry for me....having to drag my 'ol lady in with me.

We spent the better part of an hour and a half there, but finally he wanted to close and we still had to get to our 18 wheeler paradise. So back on to the highway and on down the road.

When we all meet again, I'll tell ya how we came to be the guests of the Fed's for an afternoon.

Until then...guten tog

Comments:
I know...it's OUR blog, but you're doing the posting and I just have to tell you...I laugh so hard reading your "take" on our little adventures.
 
That was great....waiting for the next saga. Love, Lynn
 
I love your way with words! You tell the BEST stories!! I laugh at your adventures (with you, not AT you ;) )

Thanks for the entertainment, and I'm glad you are having fun as well!

Krissy
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Google